About 200 residents affected by the Sitkum-Duhamel Creek wildfire showed up to a public meeting Wednesday night.
And they joined local area director Tom Newell in thanking crews for their efforts so far.
Glen Burgess is now the BC Wildfire Service Incident Commander on the fire.
He is assuring the 350 homeowners still under an Evacuation Alert of the only priority at this stage.
He said values such as the timber in the back country would have to wait.
The flank of the fire closest to homes is about 20% contained and it’s possible the alert may be lifted within a few days if the weather cooperates. Work to contain the creeks on either side of the homes has also started.
He says containment of the fire would likely take at least ten days and parts of it could smoulder all summer long.
*Picture – Incident Commander Glen Burgess addresses public meeting Wednesday night