Listen Live

HomeNewsPlastic in oven starts fire in Fairview

Plastic in oven starts fire in Fairview

A fire at a home in Fairview last evening was the result of burning plastic in an oven.

Nelson Fire and Rescue says it was called at about 7:15 p.m. The occupant left the building and firefighters discovered moderate smoke on the main floor.

In a news release, the department says it appears to have started in an oven being used to heat food on a plate with a plastic lid. Damage was contained to the oven and its contents.

Smoke was cleared from the structure using fans.

- Advertisement -

The lone occupant was assessed for smoke inhalation and taken to Kootenay Lake Hospital.

Assistant chief Mike Daloise says there are a few lessons to be learned.

However, the smoke alarm stopped working midway through the incident. It was found to be past its expiry date, so firefighters installed a new one. They say smoke alarms should be replaced after 10 years.

They also say food, plastic, or other combustibles should not be stored on a stove top or in an oven.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading