Polls are open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. today in BC’s local government elections. Every mayoral, council, regional district, and school trustee seat is up for grabs.
Here is what you need to know to vote.
Are you on the voters’ list? If so, great. You’re all set. If not, you’ll have to register before casting your ballot, provided you are 18 or older, a Canadian citizen, a BC resident for at least six months, a resident or property owner of the jurisdiction where you are voting for at least 30 days, and not otherwise disqualified from voting.
If you are registering to vote and live in the place where you’re voting, you will have to produce two pieces of ID, at least one with a signature, proving your name and address. Photo ID isn’t necessary.
If you are registering but don’t live in the jurisdiction, you will have to meet the same ID requirements and also provide proof you are entitled to register in relation to the property, and if applicable, written consent form the majority of the other property owners.
BC Transit is offering free bus rides today in Nelson to help you get to the polls.
Here’s where you’ll go to cast your ballot:
- Nelson: Prestige Lakeside Resort (701 Lakeside Dr.)
- Kaslo: Royal Canadian Legion (403 5th St.)
- Salmo: Salmo Valley Youth & Community Centre (206 Seventh Ave.)
- Slocan: Slocan Village Office (503 Slocan St.)
- Silverton: Silverton Memorial Hall (203 Lake Ave.)
- New Denver: Knox Hall (521 6th Ave.)
- Regional District of Central Kootenay: (polling stations for additional races not listed here can be found at mykootenaynow.com and mycrestonnow.com)
- Area E (Rural Nelson): Balfour Seniors Hall (8435 Busk St.), Procter Community Hall (246 Third St.), Blewett Elementary School (2665 Blewett Rd.), RDCK Nelson office (202 Lakeside Dr.)
- Area G (Rural Salmo): Salmo Community Centre (206 7th St.), Ymir Community Hall (7210 1st Ave.)
- Area H (Slocan Valley): Creston Valley Community Hall (1385 Hwy 6), Winlaw Community Hall (5897 Hwy 6), Bosun Hall (710 Bellevue St., New Denver), Silverton Hall (203 Lake Ave., Silverton), Hills Fire Hall (Hwy 6)
- Kootenay Lake School District: (polling stations for the Creston Valley can be found at mycrestonnow.com)
- Slocan Valley/Bonnington: Slocan Village Office (503 Slocan St.), Winlaw Community Hall (5897 Hwy 6), Crescent Valley Community Hall, (1385 Hwy 6), RDCK Nelson office, (202 Lakeside Dr.)
- Kaslo and area: Lardeau Valley Community Hall (Hwy 31, Meadow Creek), Kaslo Legion, (403 5th St.), Ainsworth Community Hall (Hwy 31), Argenta Community Hall (1024 Argenta Rd.)
- East Shore/North Shore: Boswell Community Hall (12374 Hwy 3A), Ecole des Sentiers Alpins, (2780 Hwy. 3A), Crawford Bay Community Hall (16232 Wadds Rd.), Riondel Community Centre, (1511 Eastman Ave.), Balfour Seniors Hall (8435 Busk St.), Procter Community Hall (246 3rd St.), RDCK Nelson office (202 Lakeside Dr.)
Once the polls close, tune in to 103.5 The Bridge for regular updates, or check back here.