Listen Live

HomeNewsFire department called to Brent Kennedy school

Fire department called to Brent Kennedy school

The Crescent Valley fire department was called to Brent Kennedy Elementary in South Slocan this morning.

In a Facebook post, they said they soon discovered a fluorescent light ballast had overheated and had caused a burning electrical smell.

School district superintendent Trish Smillie said the smell was noticed before students arrived. After the fire department left, classes proceeded as usual.

It came just one day after a light fixture in the gym at Kinnaird Elementary caught fire. School was cancelled today for air quality testing but will resume tomorrow.

A similar fire also occurred in the gym at Stanley Humphries Secondary in Castlegar in March 2022, causing about $100,000 damage.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading